Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

House Swap

Go down

House Swap

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 am

I have already presented this idea on HACA. I think it could give us Helga-Gerald bonding we need.

There were several fics about a school project according to which the classmates had to trade their houses to take a taste of each other’s lives. Of course Arnold and Helga end up being paired up for this project. I guess the best fic of that kind is MeganKoumori’s “A Mile In Your Shoes” (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3193664/1/A_mile_in_your_shoes)

(If you remember other fics of that kind, tell me please)

But personally I think it would be more interesting to pair up Helga with Gerald, and Arnold with Phoebe, then we get:

1. After several in hours in the Johanssens’ residence she’s full of it and snaps (remember Gerald Comes Over episode), and soon the house falls under her rule. (A picture: Helga sits on the sofa, while Jamie O (he wears an apron, and Helga calls him “Jay Mo”; he calls her “ma’am”) is vacuuming the floor, and Timberly hangs on her suspenders.) The trouble is, despite being bullied by Helga, Timberly very soon becomes her huge fan: she wears a pink dress and a bow, puts her hair into Helga-like pigtails, follows her everywhere, mimics her speech, and attempts to bully the people around. It looks so lame, that it makes the real Helga look ridiculous. (After she tries to bully Jamie O she ends up hanging on a peg in the closet.)

2. Arnold enjoys living with some kind of parents, and the Heyerdahls are very impressed by him, especially by his karate skills. Arnold’s main trouble is the infamous monitor lizard. He has to take him for a morning walk, but it’s difficult for him to care about somebody who ate up his favorite parrot; not to mention that the lizzard still is trying to chase birds, cats, and dogs with clear nutritional interest. Arnold has a nightmare: the monitor lizzard recites love poetry about him. (a picture: Arnold tries to drag away the monitor lizard, while he tries to attack a cute innocent-looking kitten, who does not suspect anything)

3. Everyone in the boarding house likes Phoebe, especially Grandma. Pookie is in her Eskimo mood, and she’s determined to teach her new apprentice how to live in what she calls “ice jungles”. Once she tells Phoebe that they are going to hunt an apakcux, whatever it is. Phoebe is given a harpoon and is told to lie in wait in the attic, and to shoot between apakcux’s eyes when she’ll see it. It’s pitch black and scary in the attic. When she hears something, Phoebe panics and throws the harpoon; Grandma praises her good shot. Whatever is shot, it is served for supper and tastes weird. Mrs. Kokoshka is worried about Oskar’s absence — he never misses a meal. Suddenly Phoebe is struck with an idea of who she shot and what they are eating. When Oskar finally shows up everyone is surprised by Phoebe’s joyful hysterics: she covers Oskar’s face with kisses. But still, what have they eaten?

4. The first thing that surprises Gerald is Helga’s parents ignorance towards him. Second surprise is the door to Helga’s closet: there are three heavy padlocks hanging on it, and it’s sealed up with scary tapes (”HPD – Don’t cross the line – Crime Scene”, “Biohazard”, “High radioactivity”, “NASA – potentially dangerous extraterrestrial contamination”); what could Helga be hiding there? Luckily very soon shows up Olga, she’s excited about having “Lil bro”. Olga is sweet, cute, and charming. Gerald practices his smooth-talking at her, and Olga finds it adorable. When Gerald compliments her hair, she tells him how to treat hair right. Gerald follows her recommendations, and next day he wakes up with amazing hair — it’s smooth, silky, wavy, and down. Gerald has a hairdo every girl would die for, and he’s terrified. He learns other side of Olga. She’s annoying, she refuses to see anything wrong in how he looks, and seems fixed on humiliating him: she brings in as many people as possible and is determined to show them Gerald (”Oh, this must be your baby sis you talk about so much!”). Gerald attempts to run away — but he returns after he's nearly spotted by his classmates, so most of the time he spends hiding from Olga and trying to fix his hairdo (like with putting a mop into it). (While hiding under Helga's bed, Gerald finds something... Well, he does not learn Helga's big sister, but probably he learns that she's deeper than most people think.) When Helga finally returns she realizes that Big Bob has not noticed her absence — he can’t see the difference between her and Gerald. (While Olga is angel-like looking at first; Gerald starts to see her with Helga's eyes (devilish-looking) after the hairdo incident; kinda like Other Mother in Coraline)

It was noted, that the episode should rather be Gerald and Helga based. Learning each other's families complications could give them some bonding. (Probably it was Helga who helped Gerald to fix his hair, or to hide from the classmates. Maybe there was something Gerald could help Helga with. They need to share some secrets.) Other lines could be shown with few shots. E.g. Rhonda after spending some time at Petersons, returns a typical farm girl obsessed with pumpkins etc.
Hellerick
Translator

View user profile http://heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/User:Hellerick/

Back to top Go down

Re: House Swap

Post by Squirreltamer on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:59 am

I will reiterate what I said on the HACA website - I think it's a little TOO much to have both Helga/Gerald and Phoebe/Arnold swapping houses.

I also feel like Bob would notice a definite difference between Helga and Gerald. He's neglectful, but not stupid.

I think this episode could be really neat if we used characters that aren't the big four. I also think it might be too repetitive in some ways:

1) We already have Sid 'borrowing' Arnold's room in an episode.
2) Gerald Stays Over is basically about the contrast between Arnold's odd house and Gerald's relatively normal, bickering family. We KNOW that Arnold's family is weird and that Gerald's parents can be a bit overbearing and that Bob is terribly neglectful. It's Old News.

Also, I'd much rather have Gerald and Helga INTERACTING than trying to make them sympathetic to one another. I don't want Gerald to feel sorry for Helga. But I do want him to acknowledge that she is an okay person and that she's a friend worth having.
Squirreltamer
Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:15 am

[Big Bob is] neglectful, but not stupid — Yeah, but he has not noticed Helga's alien costume even after he looked at her.

Yes, the subject is repetitive in many ways, but so Hey Arnold is. There are many episodes with similar plots.

Most side lines could be minimized to one picture.

But yes, there should be away to make Helga and Gerald interacting. E.g. Helga would have to sneak into her room and find Gerald in his miserable state, or something like that. They have to help each other somehow.
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:19 am

BTW, my original idea was that while Helga slept, Timberly dyed her hair (or rather a part of her hair) pink. So, both Helga and Gerald have a hair problem, and probably they should help each other to overcome it.
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by tendra91 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 am

Although I like this idea because there's a lot of humour-opportunities here (and I'm a big fan of comedies), I'd have to agree with Squirreltamer and say that it's too much/crazy. There's a bunch of things that I have trouble actually visualizing and think need a lot of adjusting.

1) Although Helga is a very dominant character, I don't think she'd be rude enough to make the Johanssen family her "slaves". And even if she is, I don't think the Johnassen family is "pushable" enough to let her do that. Like, I really can't see Jamie-O turning into a maid. He's too mature/tough to fear Helga. Although Helga is a complicated character, a lot of adults can see through her tough exterior and into her softer side (e.g. Simmons, Tish, Dr. Bliss, ect.). Although Jamie-O can act stupid at times, I don't think he's stupid enough to not see through Helga's meanness (out of lack of better words). He's been a kid before, he knows how kids can act. And the other thing I'm thinking is "Where the hell are Gerald's parents?"

2. Lizard idea has to be scrapped because it doesn't live with Phoebe anymore. Her parents wouldn't let her keep it.

Overall, although I like this idea for its comedic-value, I think it's too crazy and out of character. I just can't see this idea working unless it's been toned down a bit, but I understand that that would also kill the essence of your original idea. This idea needs -a lot- of talking over before it can be workable.
tendra91
Director

View user profile http://ha6s.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:16 am

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still, some things could be kept. Like Timberly becoming Helga's fan, and Helga's being annoyed by it. Or Gerald getting a bad hairdo advice from Olga, and learning how annoying she could be.
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by ger5632 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 am

I like the idea on how timberly becomes a Helga fan. Maybe she saw how Helga managed to piss off Gerald so easily and wants to learn her 'techniques'. And starts annoying the crap out of Helga. She then goes to Gerald to tell his little sister to buzz off and stuff. But we have to make an excuse for why Helga wouldn't tell Timberly herself to buzz off. I'd still think the whole project thing would be a better and easier way to get them to bond.

As for Arnold and Phoebe, maybe they entered some karate contest or something? You know what? Screw that idea
ger5632
Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am

I like the idea as well, but indeed, it might be too hectic, people would forget the first part once they reach the end of the comic..
What we COULD do, is just focus on one family. I guess the one where Arnold is staying, cause he's the main character and we know that everybody loves Arnold.. And we could show the other families in just one or two shots. I like it when Grandma would go haunting with Phoebe.. But eating something which could be a family member, that's way too dark for Nickelodeon >< I'd rather see her throwing the harpoon and hitting Grandpa in the butt or something XD Now that's Nick-humor!
Annemiek
Artist

View user profile http://heyarnold.phpbb9.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 am

Well, probably not man-eating, but animal-eating jokes are common in Hey Arnold. Turtle soups after saving a turtle, Grandpa trying to catch Abner for dinner, the parrot, Eugene's pet fish... Would you prefer to eat Abner or Oskar? scratch

Making Arnold the central character...? Truth be told, he look pretty boring. Whose house you think he would be interesting in?
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by sueKay on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 am

Curly's?
sueKay
Artist

View user profile http://suekay87.googlepages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 am

In the Laundry/Ice Cream Café you mean? Yeah, he could learn what Curly him so insane...

While the boarders would insist that Curly has to be kept in the basement.
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Yeah, it would be nice to find out a little bit more about Curly.. Also because he seems to be very popular among the fans. I'm sure everyone would love to read about it.
Annemiek
Artist

View user profile http://heyarnold.phpbb9.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:40 pm

The trouble is most fans who claim to like Curly tend to make him terribly OOC.
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 pm

2 questions
1.Did Helga keep the lizard?
2.How much do we know about Curly?
All I know is that he
1.is the silent-type-ready-to-snap type
2.crazy in love with Rhonda (i wonder what he would do if he were in Rhonda's house XD )
3.if he doesn't do what he wants or if people don't do what he promised him he goes bizzurk
4.his parents own that laundry/?resturant thing
5.is in ballet (if they do switch houses then would they make Arnold do ballet and Curly do what Arnold does? )
6.any thing else?

peachcake21
Translator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum