Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content

+7
shameonpretzel
gjsmo
Meganium
Retromanka
WillBillXP
FDK
PleaseSendMoney
11 posters

Go down

Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content Empty Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content

Post by PleaseSendMoney Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Simply put, there shouldn't be any. Arnold doesn't develop feelings for Helga until the Jungle Movie, and things between them are almost the same as they were before her confession, except Arnold knows and is just pretending it never happened.
However, what you can do is make situations that Arnold will remember in the Jungle Movie that mighty help him gain these feelings, e.g. Helga might do something really nice for him and he later remembers this in the Jungle movie as evidence that Helga's not just some bully.

I think we can all agree on this.

EDIT: Also, I personally don't believe in the idea that Arnold has subconciously been in love with Helga all this time. All 'Arnold Visits Arnie' proves is that Arnold would like Helga if she showed her nicer side more, and the end of Arnold's dream in 'Married' is almost word for word what Helga said at the beginning, which leads me to believe that he heard it subconciously but he wasn't paying full attention.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content Empty Re: Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content

Post by FDK Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I agree with you in the sense that making them act like a couple would make it more like a fanfiction than a continuation of the show, which is the whole point of this project, to begin with.

Still, I at least think that the whole revelation Helga did in the movie should at least have some impact towards their relationship, but everything will still be like it usually is, regardless. A few moments, which build up the whole "getting together" thing that happens in the "Jungle Movie", could still be implemented into the plot of the episodes, so that it feels like it is somewhat moving there, but still quite slowly.

By this, I don't mean that Arnold has to be reciprocal to Helga's feelings towards him, but that he at least starts to appreciate her a bit more. I always felt that Helga during the course of the original show in fact went much softer with her harrassments, as time went by, and began becoming nicer to Arnold, but still having that attitude that she wants everyone to believe is her true self. Arnold could in fact see this and think of her a bit higher than he has done, in the past. Plus, they could now be around each other without Helga throwing insults every second and pulling pranks on him, which would show some character development between the two, at least.

FDK
Artist

Back to top Go down

Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content Empty Re: Implications of ArnoldxHelga Content

Post by PleaseSendMoney Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 pm

So basically, when they're alone together, Helga's more likely to act slightly nicer, but when they're in front of anyone else she more likely to be her usual self. That could work quite well actually. (Though maybe she reverts to her usual self in private if things start getting to close to anything related to her affections, like we saw in the Journal when the car drives away and Arnold almost discovers her monologuing)
I personally think that Arnold would also try not to think of the confession, and so he eventually almost forgets it. This is because of his constant denial of Helga loving him (which explains his denseness to it before the confession) and he still tries to deny it afterwards because it was all a bit of a shock and a bit too much at once to take in, and he just gets really confused about Helga when he tries to think it through. Don't worry, he will remember the confession in the Jungle Movie.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by FDK Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Pretty much, yeah. However, I was still thinking that she would not be as extreme with her insults even when there are others watching. I mean, sure, she can still be mean, but not to the extreme that was sometimes done in the show.

FDK
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WillBillXP Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:34 am

I think a few of my ideas from my "7 different ideas thread" seem to have given you the inspiration for this topic, so I figure I should add my input Razz.

Disagreements are natural about this subject because it is a little on the touchy side, and we all have our own interpretations to just how much Arnold has caught on to Helga. Although we can probably agree that he is aware of everything on a subconscious level, it is harder to portray Arnold's relationship in a post-movie context without risking writing him out of character. I also think that the actual writers of the show had the same disagreements themselves on how to approach Helga-x-Arnold as well. In several episodes and in the movie Arnold seems totally oblivious to Helga's affections. But in others such as "School Play" and "Helga Sleepwalks" he uses the line "whatever you say Helga" implying that he suspects it to some degree. In a show as versatile as Hey Arnold, I think disagreements on character interpretation are inevitable and are going to depend on the writer of the episode. So I think the best way is to go about this situation is to compromise to some degree (if their ideas are extreme) and allow situations that allow the audience to have multiple interpretations of how Arnold views Helga.

WillBillXP
Writer

http://192.168.1.1_REMOVEPASTHERE_To_get_this_to_work_you'll_hav

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:41 pm

I agree with you)
To add I think we should show not dual situations but dual Arnold's thinking on this situations.

I had quiet qood explanation earlier but now I can't understand...Am I right?
Arnold is only trying not to think 'cause it's all maze and believes as time passes it will take own places? Or he's slightly aware of Helga's love but waits for Helga to make confession? Or he generally doen't understand Helga but there's something he likes in her he doesn't realize completely?
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:16 am

I think we should have them developing a closer relationship, but not a romantic one. Arnold needs to see bits and pieces of the real Helga. Otherwise, why would he fall for her by the Jungle Movie? He needs to appreciate the person Helga really is, instead of the bully she pretends to be. Therefore, I think Helga should be making attempts, throughout this whole season, to be nicer to Arnold, and Arnold should be maybe a little more concerned/interested in what's going on with Helga. This season needs to be a transition between Helga's confession to Arnold, and Arnold's confession to Helga, and it's a time for Arnold's feelings towards Helga to be developing.

That said, having overly romantic interaction between the two would just be silly. But little hints are perfect, just like in the show.

Rant over. Very Happy
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:11 am

Episode idea!

For one episode, Arnold starts having to chase Helga for some reason... and ends up seeing how much Helga loves him, even when they're not at the top of a 50-story building. Maybe he accidentally puts an essay in Helga bag (REALLY accidentally), and has to go get it because it's an F and he doesn't want Helga to make fun of him?

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:55 am

Hmm...I think Helga's love for him should be expressed in little ways. Such as her sticking up for him when another kid talks down to him, or backing him up when he has an idea that no one else wants to do. Of course, when asked why she's being so nice, she'll just say something like, "Because you wouldn't shut up until SOMEONE backed you up, and anyway, watching you blabbing on to THOSE bozos is painful to watch. I only helped you because you were pitiful, Football Head." XD

Also, Arnold's too smart to get an F. Something really bad would have to happen for him to get such a bad score...
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 am

Ok, so something bad DOES happen to him and then Helga starts caring about him and they're both tailing each other?

Or maybe Mr. Simmons had a mix-up, and Arnold knew it (maybe Stinky got and A+), so he was going to ask Mr. Simmons, but put the essay on Helga's desk because he was distracted, and forgot to pick it up? And he thinks that Helga would spread the rumor that he failed a test, and that's why he needs the essay back. Convoluted, I know, but so was Star Trek.

It was a random idea though. I just needed a reason for Arnold to be spying on Helga.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 pm

PleaseSendMoney wrote:Simply put, there shouldn't be any. Arnold doesn't develop feelings for Helga until the Jungle Movie, and things between them are almost the same as they were before her confession, except Arnold knows and is just pretending it never happened.
However, what you can do is make situations that Arnold will remember in the Jungle Movie that mighty help him gain these feelings, e.g. Helga might do something really nice for him and he later remembers this in the Jungle movie as evidence that Helga's not just some bully.

I think we can all agree on this.

Sticky this.
Very Happy
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Amen to that. Very Happy
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Forgive my bluntness, but doesn't it seem like Arnold just HAS to know about Helga's feelings for him? He's not THAT thick.

Personally, I think Arnold knows, and Helga knows that - but they're both to scared to say anything (unless they happen to be at the top of a 50-story building). Feel free to disagree.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:20 am

Oh, I think he definitely knows, but is pretending not to for the sake of Helga's dignity. I mean, she was kind of pretty much obvious about it in the movie. XD When he asked, "You didn't really mean all that stuff, did you?" he was giving her a chance to go back to the way things were, since Helga obviously isn't really ready for him to know yet. It also gives him more time to think about how HE feels instead of just flat-out refusing her. He's such a considerate boy. Smile
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by kakarotta Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:36 am

i agree with you that´s why i love him he is so sweet

kakarotta
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Inuyatta Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am

Ok, I'm about a year too late and everyone is probably gone, buuuut...

Yeah, I'm going to be the (somewhat) dissenting opinion here. Especially with the recent interviews from Bartlett--there is absolutely no way that Arnold ISN'T aware of Helga's feelings, and as such, it'd be almost equally impossible for him to have absolutely no reaction to Helga (whether she's being volatile or not). This much was already being subtly implicated in 'April Fool's Day'. Instead of just rolling his eyes and letting Helga continue with whatever she's doing, he's suddenly starting to meet her head on and giving just as good as he's getting from her.

But therein lies the answer--subtlety. I believe it was Meganium who said something upthread about Arnold needing to see more of the real Helga: The one he got glimpses of throughout the first 5 seasons, but still never seeing just how incredible she really is (i.e. Christmas Special, missing hat, etc).

Besides, if we left the entirety of Arnold's feelings just to the Jungle movie, it would feel rather cheap, rushed and poorly developed. I'm pretty sure that the series wouldn't have nearly as many old fans like us had the show been so half-assed in that regard.

I've discussed this with Tendra on her wordpress sometime ago, but the truth of the matter is that Arnold IS actually subconsciously drawn to Helga. This is canon established by the show in quite a few ways, but the ultimate thing is that Arnold always relents or backs away from accepting Helga's feelings for him because he's too immature (in that aspect) to process such a weighty thing as 'love'--he's still just fumbling around the concept of 'like-liking' someone!

Keeping all these things in mind, it would not be out of place to have a few subtle reminders of Arnold noticing there's more to Helga than she lets on. But to subtly push the idea of romantic reciprocation, it would be fairly simple with just a few short scenes where Arnold is forced to revisit those mental scenarios that he had backed away from earlier. He's got more than enough mementos: 'Cecile's' shoe, the little pink book, the incident with the locket--there's even room for re-introducing Mr. Huynh's daughter into the show for an episode, and thus bringing to light an altruistic side to Helga that even Arnold was completely unaware of. Putting together all the clues and finding Helga behind every answer, and STILL backing away from full acceptance would create just enough tension to explain Helga's escalated hostility by the time the Jungle Movie rolls around, and lay enough foundation for Arnold to gradually come to terms with his own feelings.

With all that said, this is by no means a suggestion that Arnold --> Helga should becoming a driving force behind the entire season (very rarely can romance as the main plot be pulled off well, esp. with children): it's not the style we grew up on, and it's unnecessary. However, that isn't to say that there should be no touching on it whatsoever because that would also be uncharacteristic of the show, and we already have canon material suggesting that Arnold is subconsciously aware of his attraction to Helga, even though it is not all-out romantic at this time.

As usual, the key is moderation. Smile

Inuyatta
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by purplerose Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 am

I agree helga needs to be the main focus of the season. So it would only take place After the hopefully pending if it happens, "Jungle Movie" when they are in 5th grade. I read on the Pataki page on facebook that there was meant to be an HA spin off with the cast of HA as teenagers but the main focus was helga as a teen. That would have been fantastic but it was canned because Nick felt it was "too dark" well beavis and butthead isn't exactly clean cut is it? and they played that on MTV which was suggested for the show wasn't it??
purplerose
purplerose
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by 8life0is0a0game8 Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm

purplerose wrote:I agree helga needs to be the main focus of the season. So it would only take place After the hopefully pending if it happens, "Jungle Movie" when they are in 5th grade. I read on the Pataki page on facebook that there was meant to be an HA spin off with the cast of HA as teenagers but the main focus was helga as a teen. That would have been fantastic but it was canned because Nick felt it was "too dark" well beavis and butthead isn't exactly clean cut is it? and they played that on MTV which was suggested for the show wasn't it??
I think MTV rejected the show because it was too much like the show Daria, which was running at the time on that channel. The other channels thought it was 'too dark'.
8life0is0a0game8
8life0is0a0game8
Artist

http://8life0is0a0game8.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by purplerose Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:13 am

yes and considering the fact that in this season they are in fifth grade instead of fourth right? that makes them ten years old? I certainly wasn't dating or even interested in boys at that age I mean to have Helga and Arnold in a romantic relationship at that age is a bit silly personally. If they were teenagers then sure but 10 year olds??? Shocked Shocked

thanks for the reply to my question too Very Happy
What did they mean by "Too dark?" I never fully understood that. Daria was pretty dark and it wasn't a kids show in my opinion. They should have aired the "Pataki's" instead of Daria LoL but by dark did they mean they would focus on Miriam's alcoholism? depression? drugs? etc I know there is a petition running to bring it back and the admins regularly send of their expressions of interest and signed petitions to Nickelodeon so who knows?
purplerose
purplerose
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by 8life0is0a0game8 Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 pm

purplerose wrote:yes and considering the fact that in this season they are in fifth grade instead of fourth right? that makes them ten years old? I certainly wasn't dating or even interested in boys at that age I mean to have Helga and Arnold in a romantic relationship at that age is a bit silly personally. If they were teenagers then sure but 10 year olds??? Shocked Shocked

thanks for the reply to my question too Very Happy
What did they mean by "Too dark?" I never fully understood that. Daria was pretty dark and it wasn't a kids show in my opinion. They should have aired the "Pataki's" instead of Daria LoL but by dark did they mean they would focus on Miriam's alcoholism? depression? drugs? etc I know there is a petition running to bring it back and the admins regularly send of their expressions of interest and signed petitions to Nickelodeon so who knows?

From what I've read, The Pataki's was supposed to show some more of her family issues. That kind of show was not a popular thing at the time. It would be perfect for TV nowadays. It was just created before it's time. Maybe if we get TJM made, we can focus on trying to get The Pataki's made more directly.
8life0is0a0game8
8life0is0a0game8
Artist

http://8life0is0a0game8.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by purplerose Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:54 am

yeah exactly. well ive signed petitions for both and recruited some new zealand freinds and my husband to the groups on facebook too woohoo xxxxx i still think at ten yrs of age romantic implicarion is too forward
purplerose
purplerose
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down