Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerald and Phoebe!

+4
Annemiek
Squirreltamer
Hellerick
coloredskies84
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gerald and Phoebe! Empty Gerald and Phoebe!

Post by coloredskies84 Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:32 am

I really would love to see an episode this season that officially acknowledges that Gerald and Phoebe like each other. We all know they do and I love this ship to pieces. I feel like there were a few hints throughout the entire first five seasons but nothing entirely concrete. Perhaps maybe Phoebe could confess to Helga in secret that she has liked Gerald for a pretty long time. Gerald could perhaps say something to Arnold about his feelings for Phoebe. Maybe Arnold and Helga could kinda scheme together to get them to go out? Just throwing out ideas here. Smile Someone let me know if you like this premise and think it could go somewhere. Smile
coloredskies84
coloredskies84
Writer

https://www.youtube.com/coloredskies84

Back to top Go down

Gerald and Phoebe! Empty Re: Gerald and Phoebe!

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 am

I think it would be too directly for Hey Arnold style.

HA! episodes never have shipping as the central plotline of an episode. They tell about something else with shipping being more or less important supporting line. Probably that's why HA! is more popular than shows where the subject of romantic feelings is addressed directly (like As Told by Ginger).

If you want to tell a Phoebe-Gerald story, you should think up a situation/story it would be included into.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

http://heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/User:Hellerick/

Back to top Go down

Post by coloredskies84 Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:50 am

Right right, I see what you're saying. Like some kind of project they have to work on like the characters taking care of the eggs in "Egg Story" for instance. Like, what if Gerald was having trouble in a school subject that Phoebe's really good at and she could help him? Or maybe Phoebe somehow gets involved in something Gerald is good at and must enlist his help? Something like that?
coloredskies84
coloredskies84
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 am

1) I agree with Hellerick that setting up Phoebe and Gerald canonically is probably not the best idea.

2) I love Phoebe/Gerald. But what I like best about it is that it's not Helga/Arnold. It isn't big or bold or full of secret confessions and poems and confusion. It's just two people who like each other very much and, when the opportunity arises, have fun enjoying one another's presence. If you're going to write a Phoebe/Gerald centric episode, you need to keep this in mind.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:16 am

Maybe Phoebe should enlist "Big Sis - Lil Sis" program and 'adopt' Timberly. While trying to resolve the issues between the siblings she could have some bonding moments with Gerald.

It should be noted though, that even though Gerald obviously likes Phoebe, it's likely that he would not want to admit it and make it known to public, because he would think that having fallen for one particular girl is too uncool.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by coloredskies84 Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:21 am

I love the "Big Sis - Lil Sis" program idea alot! Very Happy And you're very right now that I think about it. It would indeed be unlikely that Gerald would admit it to the public.
coloredskies84
coloredskies84
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 am

I like it myself, you know! Phoebe likes Gerald, but she has to be loyal to her lil sis. It could be an interesting conflict of interests.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by coloredskies84 Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:27 am

I completely agree! I would love to see an episode like this! Also, when times get too overwhelming, one or both of them might ask for Arnold's advice. Afterall, he is the main character. He would have to get some screen time. Excuse me, comic-panel time. Smile
coloredskies84
coloredskies84
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:42 am

So, Phoebe gets engaged into the program (there should be a reason of some kind for that). Probably at first reluctantly, but when she learns that she can 'adopt' Timberly (Mrs. Johanssen thinks her daughter is too much of a tomboy and needs a female model) she quickly takes the opportunity (denying to everyone, including herself, that she has an ulterior motive).

Timberly is ecstatic about having a sister, Phoebe enjoys being a "dominant friend" for a change too.

Phoebe learns about complications of the life in the Johanssens' house. During one of the arguments, Phoebe sticks with her new sister, and instead of spending time with the boy she likes, she ends up quarreling with him for the very first time.

In the school, Phoebe and Gerald declare to everyone that they can't stand each other. Arnold and Helga know too well that it is not true.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 am

I love the "Big sis - Lil' sis" program idea!
With a few cute Gerald-Phoebe moments, but no confessions. So in the end, not much changed (so it won't conflict with new episodes or the movie), but they do get closer.

I don't think they should tell their classmates that they can't stand each other.. They both are honest (most of the time ^^ ) and they walked hand in hand before, and went to parties together.. So, I think Gerald would more likely say something like 'I'm way too cool for stuff like that, man!' He won't deny that he likes her.
Annemiek
Annemiek
Artist

http://heyarnold.phpbb9.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 am

I think that annoyed and angry Phoebe is too cute to miss it Smile

One important thing is that the episode still should be about Gerald and Timberly, and about Phoebe and Timberly. Gerald-Phoebe line should remain a supporting line, despite being obviously more interesting for the fans. It would be cool not to mention (at least aloud) Phoebe and Gerald liking each other at all. Let's tease everyone!
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:29 pm

1) I think she should take on the Big Sis/Lil Sis because it's a good opportunity, but also because she doesn't have siblings and has always wondered about it. Also, maybe she had expected to get a Big Sis, but ends up being a Big Sis herself?

2) Mrs. Johannson doesn't seem like the type that would want to change her children. She really seems to love and respect their differences. Maybe she signs Timberly up, because Gerald and Jamie-o don't really pay her much attention and she's lonely?

3) The Johannson house isn't really that complicated. It's normal family dysfunction. Phoebe might feel out of place with three kids running about like wild things, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the Johannsons (this was the point of Gerald Moves Out).

4) I do agree that they should have a disagreement at some point. Possibly Gerald picking on Timberly, thinking that she likes it (SHE DOES NOT) and Phoebe's like: "GERALD I THINK YOU ARE BEING REALLY MEAN." and Gerald getting defensive because Timberly is HIS little sister.

5) I don't think they'd say anything about resenting each other at the end. If anything, they'd find a way to work it out and resolve their different opinions on how to be a sibling to Timberly. I'd love a scene with both of them with their respective BFFs (or maybe switched around? Gerald talks to Helga and Phoebe talks to Arnold?) about their argument:

Gerald: "Look, Phoebe is cool and all, but I hate how she coddles Tim. My sister is not some precious gem of youth and learning or whatever Phoebe keeps saying. She's a twerp. She KNOWS she's a twerp. She enjoys BEING a twerp."

Gerald: "And now she's got me fighting with Phoebe."

Helga: "Look, Gerald-o. Here's the thing: you're being a jerk. Timberly wouldn't be in that program if she didn't want to be and just because Phoebe can see something more in your sister than you can, doesn't make her wrong. So lay off of her or you'll be answering to me."

Phoebe: "Maybe I should just give up. I'm a terrible big sister anyway. What do I know about being a good sibling anyway?"

Arnold: "I think you know a lot Phoebe. I'm like you. I don't have any siblings and I've always wondered about it. What makes someone a good brother or sister - I think it's just... love. If you care about them and worry about them and try and make them smile now and then. That's it. And that's what you've been doing with Timberly, Phoebe. You've been supporting her and letting her be more than just the pest that Gerald and Jamie-o will never stop seeing her as. I think Gerald is wrong. You're being a really great sister, Phoebe."

(obviously that dialogue is kind of horrendous, but you can change it. Or flip it so Helga talks to Phoebe and Arnold talks to Gerald.)
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by ger5632 Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Squirreltamer wrote:

Gerald: "Look, Phoebe is cool and all, but I hate how she coddles Tim. My sister is not some precious gem of youth and learning or whatever Phoebe keeps saying. She's a twerp. She KNOWS she's a twerp. She enjoys BEING a twerp."

Gerald: "And now she's got me fighting with Phoebe."

Helga: "Look, Gerald-o. Here's the thing: you're being a jerk. Timberly wouldn't be in that program if she didn't want to be and just because Phoebe can see something more in your sister than you can, doesn't make her wrong. So lay off of her or you'll be answering to me."

Haha! This one's cute ^^ It is so Helga. Plus she just defended her best friend so it shows that she actually cares about Phoebe (hope that made sense).

But honestly, I can only see Phoebe going to Arnold for help but not Gerald. Unless, Arnold and Helga sees Gerald and Phoebe being all sad and stuff, they met (by pure coincidence!) then told each other about how their seeing thier best friends being all upset. So, Arnold decided that he'd talk to Phoebe while Helga talked to Gerald to see if they can solve the problem. And they did! Yayyy
ger5632
ger5632
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm

I figured it'd be a random meet up between H/G and A/P. With them being like:

"What's eating you?" and "You okay, Phoebe?"

I don't think there should be any interaction between Helga and Arnold really.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:16 pm

maybe she had expected to get a Big Sis, but ends up being a Big Sis herself — I like the idea. She could insist on switching her role after discovering this opportunity. But still I feel that it should not be Phoebe's idea to join the program in the first place.

The Johannson house isn't really that complicated. It's normal family dysfunction. — I'm cool with the Johanssens family, but Gerald is not. He often has quarrels with his family members, and it's likely that Phoebe will witness one of them, and consequently will be involved into it.

Mrs. Johannson doesn't seem like the type that would want to change her children — Yeah, but after a mischief of some kind, she could decide that Timberly needs a good girl example.

I don't think they'd say anything about resenting each other at the end — I did not mean it to be the end. I meant it to be the middle. A problem to be overcome.

And yes, Helga-Arnold interaction is not necessary here.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by tendra91 Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I think it would make more sense if the "big sis little sis" program was a P.S. 118 event, because typically, the big sis is someone who is an adult, and Phoebe is only 9/10. So that could excuse why Ms. Johannson would stick Timberly in a big sis little sis program, because I don't really see Timberly as a tomboy (she once wore a fairy costume). I think Timberly and Phoebe would make an interesting pair. I dunno, whenever I think of Timberly as being in a big/little sis program, I always thought of her being paired up with Lila (b/c of the episode Timberly loves Arnold). So maybe a "mismatch" of Lila not getting the little sis she wants (i.e. Timberly)? But either way, I think Lila would act pretty sweet / be a good sport even if she didn't get the little sis she wanted in the program. (If you want to include other people in the program... but they won't be the main focus).

I always liked the non-verbal communication that exists between Phoebe and Gerald. So if they ever got into a fight, they would probably say "I'm mad at you" in a non-verbal way, like avoiding each other or acting sour/depressed. No actual words saying that they're mad at each other, because I think that the two of them can understand each other enough without actually having to say something.

Anyhoo, this idea is looking pretty good. Very Happy

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. I think the Helga and Gerald interaction would make for some good Helga/Gerald bonding, even it's little.
tendra91
tendra91
Director

http://ha6s.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 pm

1) Instead of Big Sis/Little Sis maybe it could be like... reading buddies within the school? Our school used to pair 4th/5th grade with Kindergartners and we'd spend time every once in awhile reading to one another and bonding.

2) I agree that, narratively, Lila would make more sense as a Big Sis to Timberly than Phoebe. They have already bonded and Lila's actually in the program.

3) I love Phoebe/Gerald and agree that the best thing about it is that its understated and quiet and we don't really get to intrude on it the way we get to intrude on Helga/Arnold.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by marcosbnpinto Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I´m suspect to say because I also like the Gerald and Phoebe pairing... and, plus, the "sisters" program is another cute idea, that I like to see there - so I´m applying to this thread, just in case one of you would wish I drew something about that!
marcosbnpinto
marcosbnpinto
Artist

http://marcosbnpinto.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 am

I am not sure what "reading buddies" are, but I would prefer Phoebe to enter the Johanssens' house. I want her and Gerald's family to learn about each other and to interact somehow.

Yes, G&P is a silent pair. In fact I'm not sure if I remember Phoebe and Gerald talking. Well, they were seen talking, but not heard talking.

But is there an artist good enough to draw this "telepathic" connection between them? I think for comics we would have to make them say something about each other.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 am

There was something we called our buddies, but I can't remember what it was. I think we helped the younger kids with silly little reading projects or something. I don't remember much about it, to be honest.

I think you should have more confidence in the artists. From what I've seen so far, we've got a strong group of HA! fanartists gathering here.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by tendra91 Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 am

Reading buddies are basically where you pair a person who knows how to read with a person who doesn't know as well; one helps the other, basically. I had that in elementary, too; my buddy was a cutie. Very Happy

Anyhoo, I thought that I would attempt to piece together our ideas so far in this more-fleshed-out storyline that I'm going to outline below:

-----------------------------------------

We start with a group of the HA! gang learning about a school-version of the "big sis/bro little sis/bro program". This can either be an announcement from Simmons, or a school bulliten on the wall. This school event is optional; people have the choice to join in or not. So we have Phoebe (and perhaps Arnold) who wishes to join because, hey, it might be interesting to see what it's like to have a younger sibling. On the other hand, we have Gerald and Helga who decide to opt out because, hell, they don't need another sibling. (Helga: "I already have Olga as a sister; why the heck would I want another?") Lila and Timberly also learn of this school event and decides to join. Lila assures Timberly that they'll be big sis and little sis together, so Timberly's hopes are up.

However, it turns out that you don't get to pick your big/little sis/bro. It might be that someone else assigns you your pretend-sibling, or that the pairings are a result of a random draw. Anyways, Timberly doesn't end up with Lila - she ends up with Phoebe. Lila acts mature and polite about not getting the little sis she wanted, because that's who she is. However, this is not the case for Timberly. As a younger child, she has trouble understanding why she didn't get Lila and thus doesn't warm up very well to Phoebe. This doesn't bode well for Phoebe: no matter how hard she tries to get Timberly to like her, she keeps on failing. Finally, she decides to go to Gerald for help.

So Gerald and Phoebe work together to get Timberly to warm up to Phoebe. This allows for some Gerald/Phoebe bonding. (You might want to show in the very beginning that there's a thing going on between Gerald and Phoebe; maybe show a small scene where they give each other "the eyes" when they first hear of the program.) If you want to lengthen the story, you can show some failed attempts on Gerald and Phoebe's part before she finally gets things working with Timberly. So, they finally succeed and now Timberly likes Phoebe. A lot. And that becomes a problem, because now Phoebe focuses more on Timberly than Gerald. Eventually, because of this, Gerald and Phoebe get into a fight (let's say at Gerald's house). They stop talking to each other. Although they like each other and naturally don't want to be in a fight, they are reluctant to say sorry because of their pride.

Gerald leaves his house, outside the proximity of Phoebe/Timberly, because he needs to clear his head, and meets Arnold and his little bro. Perhaps they are in Hillwood Park, because the two best friends then sit down and begin to talk.
(Gerald: "So how is your little bro coming along?"
Arnold: "He's fine, I guess. But he keeps on pulling my hair... *rubs head sorely* How's Timberly and Phoebe doing?")
Gerald tells Arnold of his problem and Arnold gives his regular, standard solution: talk it out with Phoebe. Gerald decides to take the advice and goes back to Phoebe. However, the problem is that he came back too soon; Phoebe is still mad and unwilling to listen to Gerald. Gerald begins to get a little desperate... he needs someone who isn't him to talk to Phoebe. And what better person is there than Phoebe's best friend? (Gerald: "Helga's close to Phoebe, she can convince Phoebe to forgive me...") So he goes to Helga. Helga and Gerald talks things out (and we get a little Helga/Gerald bonding), and finally Helga agrees to talk things out with Phoebe.

But let's not make Phoebe look like a dick. While Helga and Gerald are talking, Phoebe and Arnold meet up. Since Gerald went immediately to Helga after being rejected, Arnold doesn't know how things went out between Gerald/Phoebe. So he visits the Johanssen residence, only to find that the it's Phoebe who is answering the door (remember that Gerald left her there with Timberly). Arnold asks if things are alright between Gerald/Phoebe and the obvious answer is no. So Phoebe, too, begins to spill her problems to Arnold. She feels bad about rejecting Gerald, and wants to make it up with him. Arnold gives his lovely advice and convices that Phoebe/Gerald should make up asap. Phoebe agrees, asks Arnold to babysit Timberly (he's now stuck with two little sis/bros), and runs out of the house to find Gerald.

Meanwhile, Helga is walking to Phoebe's house (but she's not home...), and Gerald decides to retreat home. Phoebe and Gerald meets up on the streets by chance, they apologize to each other, and make up.

Add any additional scenes in the end, because those are now bonuses. So maybe you have a scene where Gerald and Phoebe are taking care of Timberly together (awh, the three looks like a family now...). Have a scene where Arnold's little bro continues to pull his hair. Have a scene where Helga is standing at Phoebe's front door, only that the problem is that she isn't home.

The end.

---------------------------------------------

Okay, that was pretty long and I apologize if you spend a very long time reading this. This outline is still pretty vague and we still have a lot of vague areas that need clearing up, such as how Phoebe unsuccessfully attempts to get Timberly to like her; how Gerald and Phoebe unsuccessfully attempts to get Timberley to warm up; how they finally manage to get Timberly to like Phoebe; and how the argument between Gerald/Phoebe started.

Tell me what you think, any problems you have with it, ect.

Thanks for reading this much.
tendra91
tendra91
Director

http://ha6s.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:48 am

First of all, it's difficult for me to imagine Timberly not liking somebody instantly. I think this part could be skipped.

Second, I can't imagine why Helga would want to help Gerald.

And somehow I feel that Gerald discussing the question of his feelings to Phoebe would be too straightforward for HA! style.
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 am

I'm actually in agreement with Hellerick that I think Phoebe needing to earn Timberly's friendship and asking for Gerald's help can be thrown out.

I think it'd actually be really funny to have Lila reassure Timberly that they'd be together, end up not being together and Lila's all: "I know you must be disappointed, Timberly." and Timberly is like: "Not really! Lalalala! Come on, Big Sister Phoebe, let's play!"

I think the major conflict should be that Timberly confides that she actually really hates it when her brothers pick on her to Phoebe. Gerald then proceeds to call her a pest/twerp for something that isn't really a big deal and Phoebe defends Timberly, which gets Gerald defensive, because what does PHOEBE know about being a big sibling anyway?

I can see Helga helping Gerald if it helps Phoebe. Maybe Helga calls Phoebe, trying to get her to run some errands or something, only to find a somewhat distracted/upset Phoebe on the other end? She gets the story out of Phoebe and then confronts Gerald with a: "Stop being a dick, you dick."

I like the random meet up on the street. A billion points if they DO NOT bump into one another, but just sort of see one another and hang back and then:

"I'm sorry. You're doing a great job being a big sister to Timberly. She really likes you, Phoebe. I'm a jerk."

"I shouldn't have gotten upset with you. She's your real sister after all. But, it really does upset her when you keep calling her annoying, y'know? I just... I didn't want her to be sad."

And then there's some SOULFUL QUIET BONDING AND HALF SMILES.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellerick Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:07 am

Yeah, I like Squirreltamer's interpretation much better.

One thing is missing: resolving the issues between Gerald and Timberly (at least temporarily).
Hellerick
Hellerick
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:16 am

You're right. There still needs to be a decent conclusion for the conflict between Timberly and Gerald. Maybe Gerald defends Timberly to Jamie-O the next day? Or he goes with Phoebe to apologize?
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next