Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents)

4 posters

Go down

Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents) Empty Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents)

Post by PleaseSendMoney Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Another episode idea. I think we all know Helga has great potential and is pretty smart for age, so I decided to take that further. The basis of the it is that Helga starts doing really well in class tests and stuff (possibly due to some encouragement from Mr Simmons, he might say something about how proud her parents would be.) and it comes to the point where she's as doing as good as Olga. Big Bob starts paying Helga more attention because of this, and at first she enjoys it, but soon realises that she has to keep doing well to keep getting attention from her parents. This leads to her feeling under pressure to do well, possibly ending up devoting all her time to studying manically (this could be shown with a scene where the gang ask Helga if she wants to go to Gerald Field for a game, but she refuses, saying she has to study. Eventually she can't stand it. She realises she's going to end up like Olga: constantly having to perform for parents like a wind up doll. So, she ends up with a choice between attention from her parents and her own freedom. She eventually chooses freedom, by deliberately failing a test. Bob gets extremely disappointed in her and everything returns to normal

Last edited by PleaseSendMoney on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents) Empty Re: Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents)

Post by Noah_R Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 am

i like this idea.
Noah_R
Noah_R
Writer

Back to top Go down

Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents) Empty Re: Helga Excels (Helga does well in a test and get attention from her parents)

Post by PleaseSendMoney Sun May 15, 2011 12:02 pm

I've thought about this, and I think it would make more sense for Helga to do well on an important test that will affect the future, to give her a good reason to do well. She then finds that she likes the attention she gets from her parents.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by WillBillXP Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:59 pm

This is an excellent idea and I'm surprised the show never did anything similar to it. Well here's my thoughts on it:

Perhaps Olga should be present for some duration of the episode; she doesn't have to necessarily visit physically but I think she should at least be in the episode by a phone call for a brief scene. Perhaps Miriam or Big Bob could be talking to Olga on the phone about how proud of Helga they are and how they are so happy she is becoming more like her sister. Meanwhile Helga picks up another phone and overhears the conversation (Do the Patakis have more than one phone?). This could jumpstart Helga's realization that should might turn into Olga.

Maybe the test she is taking at the beginning should be a placement test of some sort? The test will determine where she will stand in sixth grade and junior high, and her results place her in all honors class. This gets the attention of her parents and it gives her a drive to study harder and thus she decides to study harder and starts getting A's on her subsequent regular exams.

There is one potential problem I see though: does Helga failing a test on purpose fit in with the tone of the show? The moral of this story could end up being interpreted as "fail your tests and your parents will leave you alone." I know Helga's parents are jerks, but her method of getting them off her back I worry is too predictable and doesn't send the right message. Maybe Helga should deliberately get a C+ or something instead, but then deciding what exact grade she will get could result in some other problems. Or perhaps she should confront her parents about how she feels after explaining the problem to either Arnold or Phoebe. Other than this, I don't see any possible issues that could come up (though this could be a big one possibly if I'm not completely crazy and don't have the character interpretations all wrong Razz).

I always love episodes that deal with the psychology of the Patakis. They're family is a complicated nightmare that is always fun to write and analyze about. There's much potential in this idea to explore why the family is so obsessed with competition and getting ahead. We really should elaborate on this idea and give it more attention.

WillBillXP
Writer

http://192.168.1.1_REMOVEPASTHERE_To_get_this_to_work_you'll_hav

Back to top Go down

Post by PleaseSendMoney Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 pm

WillBillXP wrote:This is an excellent idea and I'm surprised the show never did anything similar to it. Well here's my thoughts on it:

Perhaps Olga should be present for some duration of the episode; she doesn't have to necessarily visit physically but I think she should at least be in the episode by a phone call for a brief scene. Perhaps Miriam or Big Bob could be talking to Olga on the phone about how proud of Helga they are and how they are so happy she is becoming more like her sister. Meanwhile Helga picks up another phone and overhears the conversation (Do the Patakis have more than one phone?). This could jumpstart Helga's realization that should might turn into Olga.

Maybe the test she is taking at the beginning should be a placement test of some sort? The test will determine where she will stand in sixth grade and junior high, and her results place her in all honors class. This gets the attention of her parents and it gives her a drive to study harder and thus she decides to study harder and starts getting A's on her subsequent regular exams.

There is one potential problem I see though: does Helga failing a test on purpose fit in with the tone of the show? The moral of this story could end up being interpreted as "fail your tests and your parents will leave you alone." I know Helga's parents are jerks, but her method of getting them off her back I worry is too predictable and doesn't send the right message. Maybe Helga should deliberately get a C+ or something instead, but then deciding what exact grade she will get could result in some other problems. Or perhaps she should confront her parents about how she feels after explaining the problem to either Arnold or Phoebe. Other than this, I don't see any possible issues that could come up (though this could be a big one possibly if I'm not completely crazy and don't have the character interpretations all wrong Razz).

I always love episodes that deal with the psychology of the Patakis. They're family is a complicated nightmare that is always fun to write and analyze about. There's much potential in this idea to explore why the family is so obsessed with competition and getting ahead. We really should elaborate on this idea and give it more attention.

Concerning the morality issue, that sounds like a better way to resolve the problem. Thanks for all your contributions!

I think this episode might have a lot of potential, so I'll post a Want Ad soon.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by PleaseSendMoney Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm

The Want Ad has been posted!
https://ha6s.forumotion.com/t528-helga-excels-staff-wanted-helga-does-well-in-a-test-and-gets-attention-from-her-parents

But we're currenlty lacking in the artist deparment.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:07 am

Maybe Arnold would confront his guardians about how he feels, but Helga would avoid the issue first and fail the test on purpose. Then, LATER, Olga could ask what went wrong and Helga might open up a little about how she didn't want to end up like Olga. She'd then go on to say that perfection is Olga's job-- for now, Helga's content just being...ordinary. But Olga would of course say something corny like, "No matter how many tests you fail, you'll always be extraordinary to me, baby sister!" or some such. XD
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down