Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with)

+3
PleaseSendMoney
leilistories
WillBillXP
7 posters

Go down

Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with) Empty Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with)

Post by WillBillXP Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 am

I feel kind of strange...most people complain when they can't come up with any ideas, but I think I've come up with too many Embarassed. Over the past couple days I suddenly had a burst of inspiration I guess and thought up of several possible episode ideas. Instead of flooding the board, I figured I'd contain them all in one thread for now and (with the help of other members) decide what episodes I should focus on for writing a full outline/script. Well here are they are:

1) Arnold the Daydreamer:
This episode is inspired by the early stop-motion shorts and comics Craig Bartlett did back in the late 80s and early 90s.
episode description: Arnold starts day-dreaming in Mr. Simmon's class during English due to a boredom with studying poetry (I can change the subject if this doesn't fit). Arnold realizes it's been a while since he last day-dreamed heavily and decides he missed it (I'm thinking there should be some mentioning that Arnold had a day-dreaming problem that he got over in the middle of fourth grade). So he starts day-dreaming more and more (and his day-dreams keep getting crazier and crazier with each one). Eventually he fails a test due to excessive day-dreaming and he stops it completely, causing him to feel bored and depressed. The next unit in English though is creative writing, and Arnold gets the idea to write down the best of the ideas he thought up of and put them together in a story, and he ends up getting an 'A' on it. Basically the moral is that it's okay to be creative and day-dream as long as it doesn't interfere with your life.

2) The Drought:
Hillwood's main water-line breaks during a dry-period and municipal workers strike, cutting off the city's entire water supply. At the first the episode goes into Arnold (and friends maybe) trying to find spare water in the city, including scenes such people getting and boiling water out of a polluted lake and going store to store only to find all the bottled water and beverages sold out. Before a state of emergency can be declared, Arnold gathers everyone he knows and convinces them to pitch in and fix the areas damaged in the water-line.

3) Return of Cecile:
I have no idea what to do with this episode other than just wanting to do something about Helga using her Cecile disguise again as a way of expressing her feelings to Arnold. Even though I'm positive that there's fan fiction regarding this idea already, I still think it would make a great episode.

4) Helga's Foster Home:
One day, one of P.S. 118's new lunch ladies notices that Helga doesn't have a packed lunch and overhears her ranting how her Mom forgot to pack her lunch for the millionth time because she "slept in." The lunch lady asks either Principal Wartz or Mr. Simmons to contact Child Protection Services to look into the matter and Helga is shortly put into Foster Care. I'm not sure about the details yet but she does get back to her family in the end after her family has an appeal hearing and Helga talks of how despite how her family isn't perfect, she wouldn't want to live without them.

5) The Passing of a Teacher:
The class's old teacher Mrs. Slovak is announced over to be in the hospital for cancer treatment. Since the Kids didn't have Mrs. Slovak too long, nobody really cares at first. A quick scene shows a lack of cards and visitors in her hospital room. Later in the episode, it is announced she has died and that former students of hers will be allowed to have the following Monday off to attend her funeral. At first, most of the class sees it as a way to get out of class, but ends up feeling immense guilt upon actually attending a pitiful funeral service.

6) The Swamp Monster, or Trapped in the Country:
Author's Note: Okay, I know the episode where Arnold visits Arnie was just a dream that dealt with Arnold's subconscious, but this idea just seemed like way too much fun to pass up. I'm thinking at the moment that perhaps this episode could either be ironic or another dream (which I feel would make more sense but feel like a cop-out). I also think this episode could have a good parody sequence of slasher movies, but without any actual violence Razz. Actually, this is one of my favorite ideas I've come up with.

Episode Description: Arnold's class is on their way back from a field trip when suddenly their bus breaks down in the country; coincidentally it's in Arnold's strange cousin Arnie's hometown. Mr. Simmons has the class attend a festival going on in the town and the kids meet their "alternate universe" versions and are told of a folklore story about a "swamp monster." At first the city kids laugh the whole thing off as ridiculous but soon things go haywire when Mr. Simmons disappears into the swampy woods. Members of the class and their doppelgangers believe that it is the work of the swamp monster and search through the woods to find Simmons (and the monster), eventually coming across an abandoned stone-house that was part of the myth. To their horror, they find that Mr. Simmons has actually been kidnapped by an escaped convict named Chuck Hanson, and have to work together to catch the criminal and save Simmons (I'm thinking Arnold and Helga together get caught by Hanson as well and they almost confess their feelings for each other because they think they're going to die, only to be saved at the last minute). The episode ends with the class and the doppelgangers saving Simmons (and possibly Arnold and Helga) and tying up Hanson to a tree by a river; the final panels show that after the kids leave to go get the police, the swamp monster emerges from the water and walks towards Hanson its mouth open (and Hanson screaming).

7) The Cancelled TV Show:
Arnold's and Gerald's favorite TV show has just gotten a theatrical movie based on it open. But after the moderately popular TV Show's movie bombs at the box office, it's network decides to cancel the final episodes of the show for being too expensive to recoup. Arnold and Gerald are incredibly disappointed at first, but soon find that the show's creator has moved into the boarding house. Arnold and Gerald think he is responsible for canceling the show at first and plead with him to bring it back, but the man clarifies that the network executives canceled the show, and unfortunately he does not own the rights to his characters anymore. Arnold and Gerald proceed to attempt to convince the network executives through various (humorous) encounters to bring the show back, but all end in vain. At the end of the day, Arnold is very dismayed that he failed the show's creator and for once was unable to not succeed in helping someone. But the show's creator then cheers him up by telling him that even though he couldn't get the show back, he appreciates what he did for him, and encourages him to keep the show alive in his own ways. Besides, just because the show ended, doesn't mean he can't move on to more works and get a fresh start.

Hmmm...this idea seemed less cheesy when I thought it up in my head, and it is sadly lifted straight out of reality...but I feel if it's written properly then it could strike a chord with all of us Hey Arnold fans and help us cope with the fact the show will unlikely return anytime soon.

Last edited by WillBillXP on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

WillBillXP
Writer

http://192.168.1.1_REMOVEPASTHERE_To_get_this_to_work_you'll_hav

Back to top Go down

Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with) Empty Re: Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with)

Post by leilistories Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Agh! I absolutely LOVE these ideas! Smile (especially do 2, 6, and 7)

2. The Drought.
This seems perfect for a Hey, Arnold! episode! The plot sounds a lot like the episode, "Heat," but with the whole gang involved and with the different scenes, it would make a good episode. Very Happy

6. Swamp Monster
I love it, but the thing about Mr. Simmons, Arnold, and Helga being kidnapped seems a bit dark for Hey Arnold. I love the story of the swamp monster, but at first I kind of imagined Mr. Simmons just bumping into his own doppelganger (he could try giving him "nice lessons", hehe), or a nice old lady living in a house in the middle of the swamp who gives him cookies.

I love how the whole gang gets to see their mirrored selves. I can imagine Rhonda being absolutely disgusted with hers. Harold could also be extremely disappointed that his is such a nerd. I could also kinda imagine Helga either trying to get Hilda to toughen up, or she could just spend the whole time being really ticked at her, erm, cousin. It'd make a few really funny scenes. Razz

7. The Cancelled TV Show
I love this! Don't change a thing about it! Very Happy
leilistories
leilistories
Writer

Back to top Go down

Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with) Empty Re: Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with)

Post by WillBillXP Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:57 am

leilistories wrote:Agh! I absolutely LOVE these ideas! Smile (especially do 2, 6, and 7)

2. The Drought.
This seems perfect for a Hey, Arnold! episode! The plot sounds a lot like the episode, "Heat," but with the whole gang involved and with the different scenes, it would make a good episode. Very Happy

6. Swamp Monster
I love it, but the thing about Mr. Simmons, Arnold, and Helga being kidnapped seems a bit dark for Hey Arnold. I love the story of the swamp monster, but at first I kind of imagined Mr. Simmons just bumping into his own doppelganger (he could try giving him "nice lessons", hehe), or a nice old lady living in a house in the middle of the swamp who gives him cookies.

I love how the whole gang gets to see their mirrored selves. I can imagine Rhonda being absolutely disgusted with hers. Harold could also be extremely disappointed that his is such a nerd. I could also kinda imagine Helga either trying to get Hilda to toughen up, or she could just spend the whole time being really ticked at her, erm, cousin. It'd make a few really funny scenes. Razz

7. The Cancelled TV Show
I love this! Don't change a thing about it! Very Happy

Hey, thanks for the feedback so far Smile. Here are my responses to what you've said:

The Drought I wasn't sure if this episode had enough substance to it and was also worried it would be too similar to "Heat" but now I think this could work. I'm thinking at the moment that each of the gang would split up looking for water in the city and we'd get several scenes where each person/group gets highlighted in their botched attempts to get water. I'm also thinking the City Staff might use the drought as fuel for their strike, but they stop it when they run out of bottled water.

The Swamp MonsterYeah, I was worried too the whole kidnapping and escaped convict thing was too dark for Hey Arnold as well. That thought about Simmon's doppelganger actually a really idea because it both solves the kidnapping issue and it fits in with how the swamp monster story I had in mind. This Swamp Monster tale is actually based on a tale my brother told me when I was 9 to scare me. How it went was that he claimed that an abandoned stone-house in our neighborhood's woods was actually a farmer's house from the 1700s, and that an evil witch killed the farmer (explaining why it was abandoned and in the middle of the woods). He claimed that he found a stone engraving while exploring the building that was written by the witch that the house was cursed and that anyone who entered the swamp behind the house would be eaten by a swamp monster (I don't remember what he said it looked like, though I always imagined it looking like a Gyrados for some reason, but for the episode I think it should look more like the Creature from the Black lagoon). Then he told me that shortly after he discovered the stone and left it alone, three teenagers entered the swamp (and destroyed the stone for fun) and were never seen or heard from again. Basically the class will think Simmons has been kidnapped by the Swamp Monster or Witch, and when they come to an inhabited stone house in the woods they think it's the abandoned house and think that the lady that lives there is a witch. I still want Arnold and Helga to wind up alone together at some point in the episode thinking they are about to die when they are not though Razz.

The Cancelled TV Show I do actually really want to do this. I really have no qualms or fears about how I'm going to approach this aside from deciding what the fictional TV is going to be about and how to word the show creator's message to Arnold at the end.

So my top 4 episodes I want to do at the moment are

4. Drought
3. The Canceled TV Show
2. The Swamp Monster
1. Arnold the Daydreamer (I always wished there was an episode like this)

Of course, if someone wants to use the other ideas, go ahead because I'd love to see these go in directions I wouldn't expect.

WillBillXP
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by PleaseSendMoney Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm

WillBillXP wrote: (I'm thinking Arnold and Helga together get caught by Hanson as well and they almost confess their feelings for each other because they think they're going to die, only to be saved at the last minute). The episode ends with the class and the doppelgangers saving Simmons (and possibly Arnold and Helga) and tying up Hanson to a tree by a river; the final panels show that after the kids leave to go get the police, the swamp monster emerges from the water and walks towards Hanson its mouth open (and Hanson screaming).
I don't think that should be included. Arnold doesn't develop feelings for Helga until the Jungle Movie, and Helga's already told Arnold (and I don't think he's stupid enough to believe it was in the heat of the moment).
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by WillBillXP Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:01 pm

PleaseSendMoney wrote:
WillBillXP wrote: (I'm thinking Arnold and Helga together get caught by Hanson as well and they almost confess their feelings for each other because they think they're going to die, only to be saved at the last minute). The episode ends with the class and the doppelgangers saving Simmons (and possibly Arnold and Helga) and tying up Hanson to a tree by a river; the final panels show that after the kids leave to go get the police, the swamp monster emerges from the water and walks towards Hanson its mouth open (and Hanson screaming).
I don't think that should be included. Arnold doesn't develop feelings for Helga until the Jungle Movie, and Helga's already told Arnold (and I don't think he's stupid enough to believe it was in the heat of the moment).

Aw man, but it'd be funny Razz. Nah, you're right, that gag probably won't work without it being redundant. I was thinking that all Helga would say is "Arnold, you know that stuff I said on the FTI building? Well it..." then get cut off when it's revealed that there is no danger (or saved from danger if I revert back to the original idea) then Arnold would say "What Helga?" then Helga's response would be "Well it meant absolutely nothing Football Head!" Arnold wouldn't get to say anything because Helga would be cut off before she could say anything Razz. But now I'm not sure this is really worth dedicating episode time now just for one stupid gag.

WillBillXP
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by leilistories Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:46 am

I agree with PleaseSendMoney, let's not get too caught up with Arnold and Helga confessing their "undeniable love" for each other xD

Oh, and if we're going with Mr. Simmons bumping into his doppelganger, what can we call him? Mr. Kimmons? McLimons? Wimmins? xD
leilistories
leilistories
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by WillBillXP Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 am

leilistories wrote:I agree with PleaseSendMoney, let's not get too caught up with Arnold and Helga confessing their "undeniable love" for each other xD

Oh, and if we're going with Mr. Simmons bumping into his doppelganger, what can we call him? Mr. Kimmons? McLimons? Wimmins? xD

Ha, no clue there Razz

But before we brainstorm episode ideas, still wish I could get more people's feedback. At this point, I'm thinking I first want to do "boards" for Daydreamer and Drought. Both are fairly safe episodes and are throwbacks to some classic Hey Arnold (I always wondered why the show pretty much stopped giving us crazy Arnold daydreams after the first season). Then if everything goes well with these two, then I'll start work on Trapped in the Country and Canceled TV Show.

I got a summer job though so I haven't had as much free time. I'll try and see what I can do.

WillBillXP
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:05 am

I'm really keen on The Passing of a Teacher and The Cancelled TV Show.

I haven't posted on this board for a year, so...yeah.
Very Happy
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 pm

I really like 1, 3 and 6... actually, they're all awesome.
1 seems absolutely perfect. I think it would be interesting if we did a "Return of Cecile" episode - but ACTUALLY Cecile this time. That is, she comes to visit (presumably telling Arnold first, to prevent mix-ups)... but Arnold discovers he really doesn't like her that much, or maybe Helga "accidentally" breaks up their relationship after Arnold starts liking Cecile - in the end, the relationship doesn't exist anymore.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by PleaseSendMoney Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm

gjsmo wrote:I really like 1, 3 and 6... actually, they're all awesome.
1 seems absolutely perfect. I think it would be interesting if we did a "Return of Cecile" episode - but ACTUALLY Cecile this time. That is, she comes to visit (presumably telling Arnold first, to prevent mix-ups)... but Arnold discovers he really doesn't like her that much, or maybe Helga "accidentally" breaks up their relationship after Arnold starts liking Cecile - in the end, the relationship doesn't exist anymore.

I LOVE that idea.

But remember, she thinks Gerald is Arnold, so that could lead to some interesting mix ups.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

PleaseSendMoney wrote:

I LOVE that idea.

But remember, she thinks Gerald is Arnold, so that could lead to some interesting mix ups.

We could just gloss over the awkwardness... maybe a scene like this:

Arnold: Hey Gerald!
Gerald: What's up?
Arnold: I just got a letter from Cecile that she wants to visit again!
Gerald: But.... doesn't she think I'm you?
Arnold: About that.... I sorta told her right after she came the last time. She said she liked you, but she'd really like to meet me for real.
Gerald: Dang. And I though I had something there.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by PleaseSendMoney Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:13 pm

gjsmo wrote:
PleaseSendMoney wrote:

I LOVE that idea.

Arnold: About that.... I sorta told her right after she came the last time. She said she liked you, but she'd really like to meet me for real.

Seems a bit of a waste though. I can see a whole episode coming out of that. Maybe Arnold has to pretend to be Gerald or something, and maybe Cecile could be torn between 'Arnold who is really Gerald' and 'Gerald who is really Arnold'. Hey, maybe she could what Arnold did and set up two dates right next to each other; with Arnold having to pretend to be Gerald, and Gerald having to pretend to be Arnold like he probably did on their last date. obviously the truth comes out in the end.
Maybe she originally came back over because she enjoyed her date with Gerald and wanted to spend more time with him. Maybe when she's in Hillwood she could monologue about 'Arnold', but Helga overhears and tells her to stay away from Arnold (the actual one). But due to the mix up, this actually makes Cecile pay more attention to Arnold.
PleaseSendMoney
PleaseSendMoney

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:40 pm

PleaseSendMoney wrote:
gjsmo wrote:
PleaseSendMoney wrote:

I LOVE that idea.

Seems a bit of a waste though. I can see a whole episode coming out of that. Maybe Arnold has to pretend to be Gerald or something, and maybe Cecile could be torn between 'Arnold who is really Gerald' and 'Gerald who is really Arnold'. Hey, maybe she could what Arnold did and set up two dates right next to each other; with Arnold having to pretend to be Gerald, and Gerald having to pretend to be Arnold like he probably did on their last date. obviously the truth comes out in the end.
Maybe she originally came back over because she enjoyed her date with Gerald and wanted to spend more time with him. Maybe when she's in Hillwood she could monologue about 'Arnold', but Helga overhears and tells her to stay away from Arnold (the actual one). But due to the mix up, this actually makes Cecile pay more attention to Arnold.

Wow... that last bit is... GENIUS!! Seven different ideas (and I don't know which ones to go with) Einstein3

So... what if Cecile comes back, somehow manages to get dates with Arnold and Gerald at the same time, and they happen to be separated (sports, studying etc.) right up until the date. Maybe they almost tell each other, but get interrupted (idea: While Gerald is about to tell Arnold about his date (or vise versa), the line gets cut off when Eugene crashes into the telephone pole on his bike, then Gerald says "That's the third time this week" or something like that....), and they go to the restaurants which are across from each other (Chez Paris and Chez something else), then both for some reason need to go outside at the same time, and confront each other and Cecile (REAL Cecile) starts crying, which prompts Helga to start laughing evilly because she's been watching everything and she was actually the one that cut the phone wire and now Arnold will be all hers and blah blah blah.
Is that a run-on sentence? My English teacher: affraid
This could easily turn into a double episode - a setup involving Cecile asking Arnold for another date, and Gerald telling her he wants another date (she is clearly rich to fly from France for JUST a blind date), and Helga sabotaging it, then the actual date, where everything goes wrong. Or maybe not.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:17 am

I think The Drought and The Cancelled TV Show sound exactly like the kinds of storylines that would be on the real show. They're not the kind of thing I'm good at writing, though! XD (I'm good with more emotion-focused stuff, like Return of Cecile.) Anyway, if we could make either of those two happen, I feel like we'd be capturing the old spirit of the show: There's a problem in town and only Arnold can rally everyone together to fix it.

Also, while I like the idea of Helga's Foster Home, I don't think it would have been an episode on the show. It's a little too serious. The show always implies that while Bob and Miriam are far from perfect, they do care enough about Helga that we don't see it as outright abuse or neglect. And the idea for a teacher's funeral is also a bit too dark for a kid's show, I think. Maybe if it was someone the audience had never seen, such as a relative of one of the kids that they haven't seen in a long time, but a former teacher is...depressing. To say the least.
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Meganium wrote:I think The Drought and The Cancelled TV Show sound exactly like the kinds of storylines that would be on the real show. They're not the kind of thing I'm good at writing, though! XD (I'm good with more emotion-focused stuff, like Return of Cecile.) Anyway, if we could make either of those two happen, I feel like we'd be capturing the old spirit of the show: There's a problem in town and only Arnold can rally everyone together to fix it.

Also, while I like the idea of Helga's Foster Home, I don't think it would have been an episode on the show. It's a little too serious. The show always implies that while Bob and Miriam are far from perfect, they do care enough about Helga that we don't see it as outright abuse or neglect. And the idea for a teacher's funeral is also a bit too dark for a kid's show, I think. Maybe if it was someone the audience had never seen, such as a relative of one of the kids that they haven't seen in a long time, but a former teacher is...depressing. To say the least.

Good point. Disregarding that very major point, aren't these still ideas which fit the style of the show? Yes, they're a bit serious, but they're also inescapable.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhondanesia Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I think the Cancelled TV Show sounds like the best idea among the bunch. It would be a great way to send out the message that all the HA! Fans are trying to send out, but perhaps give it a more positive twist towards the end? As in, there's actually hope the show, despite being cancelled, will one day return.
Rhondanesia
Rhondanesia
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 pm

In regards to The Cancelled TV Show:

It's mentioned in the series that Gerald's a fan of "Pop Daddy". So...maybe "Pop Daddy" is the show that's getting cancelled?

Also, as far as giving the ending a more positive twist...well...a little dark humour pessimism never hurt. I mean, look at "The Angry Beavers" attitude toward cancellation:

Angry Beavers Final Ep - Bye Bye Beavers

Last edited by shameonpretzel on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I dunno.... I feel like dark humor isn't okay with Hey Arnold. Except if it was a one-shot character who was dying. It would either come off as sadistic, or a "Very Special Episode Addressing Important Concerns." And both are usually a no-no for a cartoon. Hey Arnold's always had a sort of sweet feel to it, and doing an episode about an old teacher dying might either get too intense/emotional, or come off like we think it's funny if we try to lighten it up too much. For example, when Helga thinks she's dying in Monkey Business, it's funny because we all know she is not ACTUALLY going to die, and is being overly dramatic by giving away all her possessions. Similarly, in Sid's Revenge, the situation is funny because Sid thinks he has killed Principal Wartz because of something he has done to a soap voodoo doll. Both situations are funny because they are ridiculous and no one actually dies.

I'm not saying doing a death episode wouldn't be possible, but it would have to be an extra-long one because it would address a lot of emotional issues, and that takes more screen (page?) time to convey properly.

Rant over. XD
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 am

It could always be some teacher that no-one has heard of, save maybe Phil and Gertrude.

We COULD always just lighten it up a bit if the teacher were to become a para/tetra/quadraplegic (not much better, really) or maybe just move away to another city.

Or what if the teacher got transferred to P.S. 119?

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 am

Oh, that's a good thought! What if it's a teacher that no one likes, but the teacher is moving to PS 119, and Mr. Simmons is having them throw the teacher a farewell party and expects them all to say nice things and talk about their "cherished memories"? XD
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by gjsmo Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:54 am

That's a bit different. I was thinking that the teacher-to-be-transferred would and least have to be liked by someone, maybe their Pre-K teacher who no-one remembers? Why would they go to a party for a teacher no-one likes? Maybe this is the Helga in me speaking.

gjsmo
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Meganium wrote:I dunno.... I feel like dark humor isn't okay with Hey Arnold.

I always thought "Arnold's Thanksgiving" was darker in tone compared to all the other holiday specials.

In "Eugene's Birthday", the ep centers around an issue that never fully gets resolved, and in "Arnold Betrays Iggy" the episode ends with Arnold actually thinking LESS of Iggy.

Hell, in "Dino Checks Out" a character actually FAKES HIS OWN DEATH - not exactly kid-friendly material.

Also I wasn't going to dwell on this, but since so many people are harping on this episode idea and it was one of my favorites - I could legitmately see The Passing of a Teacher working, and I'm going to bring up two other shows as an example:

"The Substitute" - A Recess Episode
Granted, no one dies in this ep, but TJ's devotion to his teacher while everyone else was happy to forget her when she was absent seems like a very "Arnold" move, and something I could see translating into Arnold guilting the other classmates into not attending her funeral.

"I Remember Melville" - A Rugrats Episode
This one IS a death episode. And if a bunch of babies are able to handle the subject matter without getting all "very-special-episody" on the audience, then with Hey Arnold! it should be no problem.

Just my two cents.
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm

My point is, no one actually died in any of those Hey Arnold episodes. XD But you're right, I remember that episode of Rugrats and thinking it was pretty good. I think maybe if we made it emotional, but not overly sappy, it might turn out well after all.
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by leilistories Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 am

Aw, that Rugrats episode always made me so sad Crying or Very sad

I'm honestly not too fond of Mrs. Slovak dying, either. Not only would it be dark, but she's a character that left the Hey Arnold series right after the first season. So, she's pretty much already been long gone since the second season.
leilistories
leilistories
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down