Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for creating an account on the HA6S forums! But you're not done yet: go to ha6s.weebly.com to register as a staff member (under "Join Our Team")! Once you have been added to the staff list, you will be given greater access to the forums. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.”

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.” Empty Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.”

Post by funderkitty07 Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.”
Plot Idea Summary:

The episode opens in a dream sequence. Arnold tip-toes downstairs and hears his parents' voices in the kitchen. They are saying something about "the trip" to Grandpa Phil and the other borders. The words are muttered but their tone sounds urgent. Arnold enters the kitchen to find it empty. The windows blow open and he hears his mother's voice calling his name. Arnold runs outside and sees a blurry image of his mom and dad crossing the street arm and arm. Arnold chases the image across the street but it evaporates. Their voices carry through the wind and Arnold chases the voices downtown. He sees images of his parents in various places at different ages like Mr. Green's bakery, Mrs. Vitello's flower shop, PS118, the park and Big Bob's Beeper's. They were in Hillwood years ago but Arnold can't remember. When Arnold returns home, Grandpa opens the door and says, "You're a little late, Shortman."

Arnold wakes up breathing heavy on a rainy Monday. The first sound he hears is the familiar buzzing of his alarm clock. He reaches to turn it off but stops an inch before the “off” button. He lets it buzz for a few more seconds, exhales, then taps the button. He opens his dresser drawer and stops to notice the arrangement of blue over shirts and checkered, red collar shirts. He selects his typical outfit and heads out the door.

Walking downstairs, Arnold hears the familiar sounds of the boarding house: Suzie Kokoshka threatening to leave Oscar if he doesn’t get a job while Ernie Potts and Mr. Hyunh shout at Oscar about the fifty dollars he "borrowed", Grandma pretending to be a wild life expert looking for a giant, prehistoric spider, and the robot Mr. Smith built to retrieve his breakfast. Grandpa greets him with “Why the long face, Shortman?” Arnold replies, “Just one of those mornings, grandpa,” grabs an umbrella and heads out into the rain without breakfast.

Getting onto the bus, Arnold bumps into Helga. She opens her mouth and Arnold cuts her off with, “yeah, I know, ‘watch where you’re going, Football Head’ .” Helga’s mouth drops and Arnold takes his familiar seat next to Gerald. Gerald comments on how he “woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.” Arnold shrugs it off and grunts as he hears the same old conversations in back of the bus: Rhonda bragging to Nadine about her new fall wardrobe, Helga imitating Rhonda to Phoebe in the seat behind them, Harold talking to Stinky about entering the Mr. Nutty Bar Contest, [insert more familiar tropes].

During Mr. Simmons' geography lesson, Arnold is captivated by a slide show of different countries Mr. Simmons traveled to. The lesson stops short when Helga and Harold engage in a wrestling match as a result of Harold hurling spitballs at her. After school, Arnold talks to Gerald about how great the slide show was-especially the South American slides. Arnold expresses his desire to see the world. Gerald, however, was much too interested in the spitball activities to notice.

Arnold goes home to the same boarding house quarrels he returns to everyday. Fed up with this familiar scene, Arnold announces he is going for a walk and slams the front door behind him. Grandpa watches him walk out into the rain without an umbrella. Gerald arrives at the door a moment later. Grandpa tells him he went out for a walk and Gerald comments on Arnold’s behavior.

Grandpa sighs and tells Gerald the story of how Arnold’s parents grew weary of Hillwood’s familiarity and decided to travel. The episode splits between Miles and Stella’s back story and Arnold’s long walk. Will Arnold walk the same path his parent’s did? This is a question that shouldn't be resolved in this episode and should linger throughout season 6 leading up to the second movie.

Last edited by funderkitty07 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 9 times in total
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.” Empty Re: Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.”

Post by Retromanka Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I like your idea Smile
I think he won't be an archaeologist but a traveller of 'cause (especially when it's said Helga wants it too =] )
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.” Empty Re: Episode Idea-“Hanging Around This Town.”

Post by funderkitty07 Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks Retromanka! I totally agree. I've always pictured Arnold growing up to be something along the line of the host of an awesome travel show.
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Aww...it's cool... Rolling Eyes
And have you thought how'd episode end?
I have some idea if he'd understand that even in such town as Hillwood could happen a great journey and he'd remember with Gerald all his adventures in town as fti business and etc.
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:06 pm

The episode ends kind of on a cliffhanger. On his walk, Arnold comes to terms with the fact that there's just as much unpredictability as there is predictability in Hillwood and smiles on the good times. However, he knows he must leave Hillwood one day to see the world and eventually search for his parents.
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Oh...It sounds great Very Happy
Should Gerald has a talk with him?
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 pm

I haven't decided yet. I could see him and Gerald talking or Arnold resolving it on his own.
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Oooh, very dramatic. <3 I like it. x3 It's very foreshadowing towards TJM. And I feel like as the show went on, there weren't enough episodes that focused on Arnold in later seasons, so having one about him will be really good.

This is a great idea! Your summary is really detailed, and that's fantastic. <3

I agree that Arnold should just kind of make up his own mind, or not really make any decision at all. I can totally see the episode ending with him staring up at the sky in a wistful sort of manner as Gerald and Grandpa talk in voice-over. It would let the audience know that it's something Arnold needs to decide for himself, and that it's a problem that can't--and won't-- necessarily be solved right away.
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Meganium! To be fair to Craig Bartlett, I think the later episodes drifted away from Arnold because he wanted to make sure he captured the lives of every character in Hillwood but I was definitely missing those story lines. I think in season 6, a good amount of the episodes should be Arnold-centric.

I absolutely love your idea about the episode ending in a voice over of Gerald and Grandpa talking and Arnold staring wistfully at the sky (I'm thinking a sunset!). He can do so on the roof of Sunset Arms. But before he does, Arnold should pull a picture of his parents holding him out of his wallet, knowing what he has to do and where he has to be.

I want the "should I stay or should I go" problem to be a reoccurring theme in the season.

Oh: I also thought it may be fun to reveal if Hillwood is in Washington, Oregon, or New York in this episode.
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 am

It's (so i've heard) in wasington.

Hmm. . .
I remember Craig saying that Arnold enters and wins an essay writing contest which the prize is a trip for him and the class to go to San Lorenzo, so what if some paper hits Arnold, or he see's a paper or something.But the audience doesn't see the front of the paper :3
Arnold looks at it with an interested (or confused from getting hit or just thoughtful) look on his face. He smiles and CUT!
I think that 's how it should end but you know it isn't that good.

You do realize it's the best if this episode's done last or near the end of this project? Dude, that'll take forever!
Sorry, Sad

peachcake21
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:00 am

I like your idea a lot with the essay contest flyer and I am pleased to know it's in Washington.

There are a lot of possibilities about the ending. And while I see how it seems that episode would be more fitting toward the end of the season, I can argue that it would also work in the beginning. As one of the first episodes of season 6, this episode could set up the brewing conflict in Arnold of "should I stay or should I go." Throughout the season, Arnold can be faced with subtleties in episodes that remind him of this dilemma.

Also, I think it's important that the plot of the journal is reintroduced on in the season.

Note: check out my edit to the beginning of the episode
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meganium Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:45 am

You're welcome! ^_^ I get kind of excited about good ideas! XD
Yeah, I definitely agree that there should be a lot of Arnold episodes (does anyone else miss the beginnings of the season one episodes where Arnold was always daydreaming? I sure do). I mean, he IS the title character...XD We can balance exploring Arnold's character while developing some of the more minor characters as well, I think! ^ ^

Ooh; I love the idea of him being on the room of the Sunset Arms during...uh... sunset! XD It's very poetic.

I think it would be great if at the end, he pulled out a picture of his parents AND the entry form for the contest (which he will win, but the audience doesn't know that yet... Wink ). Foreshadowing! x3

And yeah, peachcake, it might take forever... but we're committed to this project, right? ^_^ Besides, no reason we can't work on the last episode before some of the earlier ones. That happens in real show development all the time, and it also gives everyone a sense of where they need to end up. Although I think this episode would be good near the beginning of the season, to give the rest of the season a sense of foreboding... Arnold is getting antsy to break out of his routine, and the audience should be antsy for him to do so as well. They should start making theories, wondering what will happen next... it's a great way to build anticipation! ^_^
Meganium
Meganium
Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:31 am

I'm excited about this too! And I love the idea of Hey Arnold! fans making theories about the show-that would bring the series to a new epic level like Lost. So I have one question since I'm new here. What step should we take next?
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:24 am

Thank you! But like I said, the front of the paper can NEVER be revealed, until TJM!

hmm, I know you said to re-introduce the Journal but, most Hey Arnold! fan have seen that ep, unless it's a short recap.

Hmmm, I think there should discuss more "familiar" situations to add to the story.

peachcake21
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by leilistories Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:58 am

I like it - it sounds so touching! Just reading the summary made me cry D:
leilistories
leilistories
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:55 am

Meganium: I think the issue of where the episode should fit in will be resolved once the actual script is written. Also, as far as developing minor characters, Arnold will see on his long walk that the people of Hillwood aren't so one-dimensional. In Grandpa's backstory to Gerald, Arnold's parents realize this shortly before leaving for their first archaeological excavation.

Peachcake21: Don't worry! The flier will absolutely be hidden from the sight of the viewer. Also, I didn't mean re-capping the Journal but adding more to the story of Arnold's parents-why they decided to travel the world in the first place in contrast with why 10-year-old Arnold wants to travel the world in present-day. As for more familiar situations, I have plenty in mind for when the episode reaches the script-drafting stage and if you have any ideas for familiarity, I'd love to hear yours.

leilistories: Thank you so much! I want this episode to render the same emotion from the audience. What was so wonderful about Hey Arnold! was it's ability to make its audience cry as much as easily as it made us laugh. I want "Hanging Around This Town" to capture the heart and soul of Arnold and the only place he's ever known.

funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Guys...I LOVE you ideas. I have nothing to add.
Very Happy
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Helga throwing spitballs at him
What if, for some reason, Helga follows Arnold, she falls out of something, he catches her in her monologues, she pops out somewhere, ect and then he's like "Yeah, yeah, yeah your *insert something Helga would say*"
Yeah, I can't think much

What if even Grandma Gertie gets predictable!
AHHH!

peachcake21
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 pm

I think it should be like "your unpredictability is predictable" lol
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Haha well in the beginning Grandma Gertie does get predictable by pretending to chase a giant prehistoric spider (role-playing is not out of her element) and Arnold says "yeah, yeah" to Helga saying "Move it, Football Head." So it makes sense making these two more predictable. What if Arnold sees Helga hitting Brainy and calls her out for being predictable with that and helps him up, then criticizes her for always hitting Brainy "for some reason."
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Retromanka Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Ahahah!!))) I like it! This was never figured Smile
Retromanka
Retromanka
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Arnold:Helga, dont you ever get tired of hiting Brainy all the time. And Brainy, don't you really get tired of Helga hitting you all the time. *stares at Brainy* How many glasses do you got?
Brainy: Uhhh *wheeze* some *wheeze*
Helga: What's it too ya if I keep hitting Brainy, Arnold-o!
Arnold: Well, doesn't it get to predictable, I mean couldn't you let him go or let him say something before you hit him
Helga: Well . . .
Arnold: Yeah, yeah, yeah! 'It's non of your biusness, Football head!' *sighs*
*leaves*
*Helga lets Brainy go*
*Brainy runs away*
Helga: Oh Arnold *insert some long romantic wording in here*

That's what I got so far, confused
Any ideas?

Yeah, I didn't want to add the whole poem thing, I cant think of one XD

Last edited by peachcake21 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

peachcake21
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Pretty good! I can imagine them talking this way.

How about Helga becomes stumped for a poetic line.

Helga: Oh Arnold! Such a....Such a...Wow he's such a Debby Downer today. I wonder what's gotten into that Football shaped head of his...

*Helga watches Arnold walk down the steps outside of PS118*

*Helga chases after him* "Where do you think you're going, Arnoldo! Where do you get off talking to me like that? So what if I pound Brainy every now and then? That creepy four-eyes kid deserves it the way he always sneaks up behind me! Nobody tells Helga G. Pataki that she's predictable! Do you hear me? No one! Turn around right now or I'll pound that Football shaped head of yours!"

*Arnold slowly turns his head to say* "Helga, you're predictable" and then walks off. *Helga clenches her fists together and calls for him to come back but he doesn't*
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:42 pm

XD
I'm gonna love this episode XD

XD

How are we gonna extend the story? (The journal's story)

peachcake21
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by funderkitty07 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Me too! Hm. Well the flashback with Arnold's parents is merely a prequel to why they started traveling on archaeological digs in the first place .

But in Arnold's dream sequence in the very beginning, when his parent's mention something about "the trip" in the boarding house kitchen, I want to leave a few clues to the audience about what might have happened to them while staying true to Craig Bartlett's original TJM plot.
funderkitty07
funderkitty07
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next